UTV Racing Association Forum Index UTV Racing Association
Extreme UTV Racing Enthusiasts

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Score's Cage Inspection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtabcum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Score's Cage Inspection Reply with quote

Hi,
Anyone recently went to get their cage inspected at the Score's cage inspection? Any problems?

I was wondering what 's involved?

Thanks,
RT
bajaxp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Cage Reply with quote

I took mine to Bill Savage in Vista in September. My Ranger went right through with no modification. I think that he has a bigger 'sense of humor' because we are Sportsman, but I think my cage would pass either way. No advise, just read the UTVRA, BITD or SCORE rule book on cage construction. They are all pretty close. Pay attention to gussets or cross braces and make sure your welds are of a good quality, 100% around the tube and has good penetration.

From what I can remember, they are looking for 4130 or 1026 DOM in 1.5" x .095"
rolloutracing
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cory at Desert Toyz has gone over a few rhino cages and a few Artic Cat cages for Score. He should be able to tell you what you need to know.

Eric
rtabcum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
I've been talking with Cory too. When I did call to make the apt with Score, they mentioned using several instruments to check the cage like a magnaflux and ultrasound device. That just scared me a bit since I welded my own cage so the joints will surely not be professional. The cage is 4130 1.5x.095 tube. Another concern is the way I build the cross brace on the rear.

Oh, SoCalFab did look briefly looked at my welds and said it was ok so I hope I will not have any problems.

Oh well, I'll find out soon if I need to do more fab work or not.

RT
bajaxp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Cage Reply with quote

The full on pro class inspection is a 'cavity search' literally. But for us SCORE sportsman, it is a little different. We don't get an official SCORE band or anything. I was concerned about 'no SCORE tech band' and called Savage and he said it is not for our class.

If you follow the BITD, SCORE, UTVRA rule book you will be fine.

Don't forget to route your fuel cell vent so no matter which way you flip your rig there will always be a section of vent tube that is facing up. In other words it needs to complete three out of four corners. The fourth corner is obviously right side up.
rtabcum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rhino PASSed the inspection.

Bill just looked at the weld joints, the harness and the tube. He did use a Utrasound device to check the thickness of all the tubes.

He said that he is not issueing any stickers at this time because the UTV class is still not finalized.

RT
rolloutracing
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RT,

thanks for keeping us all up to date on your experience with SCORE. It will help others out in the future.

Thanks,

Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UTV Racing Association Forum Index -> SCORE All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: