UTV Racing Association Forum Index UTV Racing Association
Extreme UTV Racing Enthusiasts

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baja 500 Entries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomcar

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Baja 500 Entries Reply with quote

We are less than a week away from the Baja 500 and I donít know about anybody else but we are in full thrash mode to get our 2 vehicle ready. This is Tomcar Racing is participating in its third Baja event and we have both the #1806 and #1807 car entered in this race.

Who are the other teams going down to this years 500?
PACWEST

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to all that is going down there. So far it looks like 10 UTV's entered. Thats a good turn out for a SCORE event. I hope the UTV's keep growing in SCORE races
PACWEST

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if any UTV's finished. I saw on one site 3 of the UTV where out of the race.
mikewest24

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: 1808 Through Checkpoint 4 7:10 this AM Reply with quote

The made mile marker 386 this am, this race is 420 miles long they have a chance.
Cory S
Associaton Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive there were no finishers 2 made it to mile 241.
mikewest24

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Rally Logger Reply with quote

http://www.rallytrack.com/CheckPoints.htm
mikewest24

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Rally Logger Reply with quote

From the rally logger, they are saying 1808 made checkpoint 4 at mm386, there is a 18hr time limit-I don't think anyone made it in the allowd time if they left at 11:40 yesterday. It sounds like a lot of other cars/trucks were bottlenecked up in a few places during the race. I listened to the broadcast quite a bit-sounded like a lot of fun.
Tomcar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 2 UTVs that completed the course but neither one of them did it under the allowed time. 1808 Rhino finished about an hour or so out side the time limit, followed up by 1806 Tomcar which was about an 1.5 hours behind him. This was a mean piece of desert and just finishing was a great accomplishment.
PACWEST

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we know what broke on the 8 UTV's that didn't finish. Curious what broke on the RZR's.
Cory S
Associaton Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Mr Tomcar please have a beer, sit down and type in some more info. PS. Congrats on the " Completion" the Baja 500 is always a tough course!
Tomcar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that this has taken so long but better late than never. This was Tomcar Racingís third Baja race and I believe the toughest one. Although a lot of the course was the same as the Baja 250, the new additions including Mikeís Sky Ranch, added a new level of skill and physical endurance. The UTVs still started off the line last, which isnít so bad because it makes the course real easy to follow and there is not much coming up in your rear view mirrors but the one thing I do wish is that we could start in front of the 1100 VW Bugs. 2 out of the 3 races I have had to wait on the big hill climbs while these guys try and negotiate the course, and at mile marker 55 just after the first big silt bed we had to wait about 45 minutes before we got our shot at the hill. Up until this point we were averaging about 32-33 mph and this stop dropped us back to around 23-24. After this the course started opening up and we started making up time. At the Baja 250 we got knocked out at mile 103 and it felt good when we passed this point going strong, and it was also cool to get to the goat trail that lead back onto Highway 3. This was a little rocky and technical but really fun and I believe that I passed up a Jeep speed and a slow 8 truck.

We got to our 2nd pit at mile marker 122 in first place and making up time (averaging now about 26 mph). Our team was right on target and gave us a splash of fuel and a belt change in just under 2 minutes and then we were back on our way. The new car was working great and I looked forward to the next 100 or so miles through Mikeís Sky Ranch. The first part of this section was a lot like the back road to Crown King here in AZ and we were picking off the slower class 3 and class 8 trucks, because the sharp turns and rocks. Then our first big problem of the race - at mile marker 155 - we blew an oil line and both my co-driver and me were covered in oil (what a mess). We got out and assessed the problem and it was about 45 minutes before the first UTV (1808) passed by us. A few minutes later our team mate in 1806 stopped and tried to give us a tow to the Mag 7 pit, but only got us a few extra miles until we could go no further because of terrain. So after a little ingenuity by my co-driver, Chris, we felt confident enough to get back on course with minimal oil and limp into the Mag 7 pit. The guys at Mag 7 were great and they gave us 2 quarts of oil for the car and some towels to clean ourselves up. Then we were back in the game.

It was another 30 miles or so until we would reach our next pit so I put the hammer down and headed off. This part of the course included a dozen or so water crossings - most of which werenít that big of deal. There is great picture on tracksidephotos.com of me blasting through one of the bigger ones. After the water crossing came the gotchas and being that it was getting dark it added a high level of caution. We passed the Bi-Polar Prowler about mile marker 170 with a messed up rear suspension but the car was right side up and everyone was alright. As we approached our pit at mile 186 they let us know that they were the first pit as soon as we hit the asphalt. I threw everyone off when I made a quick stop just before the asphalt, because I saw the Bi-Polar pit and I wanted to make sure that they knew that their guys needed help back at mile 170. They ran out to my car and offered me help or fuel, but all I wanted was to let them know about there car and then I headed off to my pit.

This was our third pit at mile marker 186 and again it went really smooth and in a couple of minutes we were back on course. The next part of the track was a lot of silt and s-turns, but nothing too terrible. The other Tomcar called us over the radio and let us know that there was a big silt hill coming up at mile marker 196 and hang left. That was the cool thing about running 2 cars Ė because all day we had been giving each other warnings and help on better lines. So when we got to the hill it was brutal and even with the help it took us few tries to find our way up, and just when we thought that we were in the clear - we found out that our biggest trial of the day was ahead. The next 8-10 miles was the meanest piece of desert that I have ever driven. The whole thing was whooped and they were uneven, rocky, and different sizes which made it impossible to get on top of them. During this section we passed a half dozen class 12 cars and a few class 3ís and then our day and the race would end for us.

A few miles past check 2 and about 5 miles from the Mag7 pit, we broke a chain in our final drive and the car locked up. At first I thought it might be a flat tire or a broken tie rod but no such luck. This all went down about 9 pm. By pure luck our radio seemed to reach for over 50 miles and we were able to contact all three of our stationary pits and let them know our fate. After figuring out the best route for our chase truck to retrieve us - all we had to do is wait, and it only took about 3 hours before they got to us. The crew opened the final drive and pulled out the chain and hooked us up for the tow.

It was kind of disappointing to be finished with the race, but we found out that the other Tomcar was still going strong and we were able to see them through mile marker 350 or so. We then headed back to Ensenada to the start/finish line. The course was riddled with silt and our other Tomcar got stuck many times from this point on. Unfortunately they ran out of time before they saw the finish line. This would not stop the #1806 Tomcar from finishing the race though, and in just under 23 hours- Tomcar 1806 completed the course.

For those of you out there who wish to race in the Baja, I have a few things to let you know. First it is the worst thing and the best thing you can ever do. Second, it will push you and your team to the point of insanity and you will come out knowing what you are really made of and who your true friends are. Third, and most important, this is something not to be taken lightly and you need to over-prepare yourself for this race. It is one of the most dangerous off-road races in the world and the fact that it is in a different country only raises this fact. But if given the chance I encourage you take the challenge and it will change you forever.

Matt Kimmerle
Tomcar 1807
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UTV Racing Association Forum Index -> SCORE All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: