UTV Racing Association Forum Index UTV Racing Association
Extreme UTV Racing Enthusiasts

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The San Felipe 250
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOODTIMES

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: The San Felipe 250 Reply with quote

Well how did it go ? lets see some times and who finished where. i cant wait to see
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: POST RACE RELEASE Reply with quote

-------------------------
Press Release
March 12, 2006

The SideXSide Action / Desert Toyz Team Rhino has officially been the first and only UTV to finish a SCORE International Race ever.

The San Felipe Baja 250 on March 11, 2006 was a knarly course with endless miles of sand whoops, silt, and rocks. Mother Nature brought her extreme winds and rainstorms to Baja Mexico to test the participants. The rain, wind, and darkness created low visibilty and extremely harsh racing conditions.

Three UTV's entered this invitation-only SCORE race. The first one, #1801 was a Polaris Ranger driven by Jeff Sonn had car damage and ended his race as mile 92. The second UTV entry, #1803 a Black Rhino Performance built Yamaha Rhino had a rollover accident at mile 62 which did enough damage to rear end of their Rhino that ended the race for them. The driver and co driver were not injured. And the third and final entry, #1802, the SideXSide Action / Desert Toyz Team Yamaha Rhino vehicle. They completed the whole 240.5 mile course in 10.5 hours. Only small problems such as one flat tire hindered the 1802 Team. The Elka Suspension components performed extremely well, the Fullbore body kept the bright image up, the Desert Toyz and Powroll built motor performed to it's upmost ability, and Side X Side Action Magazine contributions got the team there!

So there it is, the first ever UTV to finish a SCORE International race. The Baja 250 is under their belt and smiles on their faces. They would like to thank all their sponsors and help in making this event a success.

Pictures, updates, results, and reports will be up soon on the www.UTVRacingAssociation.com website.

Austin A Atkinson
UTV Racing Assoc Admin

-------------------------

Last edited by Admin on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats cory good job 10.5 hrs. so about 23 mph average not too bad how many pit stops did you guys do??
SBS Performance

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome. Way to push the UTV field along. I heard the course was pretty intense. CONGRATULATIONS
SidexSide Action
Site Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Congratulations guys!!!!!!!!

Cory, call me when you get a chance.

Cody
Side X Side Action Magazine
long travel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
congrats cory good job 10.5 hrs. so about 23 mph average not too bad how many pit stops did you guys do??

oops I wasn't logged in Rolling Eyes
long travel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so who was in front when black rhino rolled and how bad was it ??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Polaris was in front by eight minutes.
BRPtech

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff was only 3-4 min in front of me and probably 8-10 in front of cory
long travel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRPtech wrote:
Jeff was only 3-4 min in front of me and probably 8-10 in front of cory
How did the trailing arms do ??
BRPtech

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff broke one but says it could have been prevented, i guess his fabricator made a bone head mistake (at least that's the story jeff told me). mine ended up breaking in half after i pitched it sideways in the air going 40mph and landed sideways on RR wheel. i did a whole write up over on our forum (i have a cast on my hand so i won't retype it)

http://www.blackrhinoperformance.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=2273&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent Sal Fish at SCORE a email about Rhinos in more SCORE events. I told him I plan on building a Rhino for next year's SCORE events which I hope we get to race. Sal wrote back saying they are looking into the check point times of the Rhinos and safety.
BRPtech

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone hears from or of Sal inquiring about Rhino Safety please tell him to talk to me. I was looking over the Race Rhino again and noticed a sand abrasion on the front bumper that leads me to believe we did a cartwheel mixed into our barrel roll. If anyone knows about Race Rhino Safety it is me, if someone else wants to admit to a worse roll over here is your chance...

Our cage is still perfectly straight, welds are all perfect. The only injury was my hand/wrist from holding the steering wheel tight as it spun completely around. In my mind we passed the rollover safety test with flying colors.
BRPtech

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they review check point 1 times they couldn't deny us, all three of us beat a number of vehicles in good running condition to check one. and we were right behind the number 16 DA Trophy Truck Laughing, oh ya and we beat robby's truck (my co-driver Chris scared me when he yelled "Turn Around Now... Robby Gordon's truck is at that pit, we should go nerf him, get some blue and silver on our bumper")
tvs graphics+apparel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if class 11 is still valid i see no reason to not allow utv's.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great info and you need to email this to Sal. The more support we get the more likely we will be able to run in the 500 and the 1000. I already wrote Sal and let him know my feelings.

Here is his email address: salFish@score-international.com

PS Keep calling them UTVs and not Rhinos and more people will get involved.
Dusty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: example of saftey Reply with quote

With regards to the second to last post from Brptech, I have photos of a rhino that rolled 20-40 times with four adults inside. I also have photos of the mountain they rolled down. They occupants blacked out after the fifth roll so we measured the length and steepness of the mountain. With that we we able to estimate a minimum of 20 rolls and a maximum of 40.

The rhino had a roll cage that was built for me by the guys at Long Travel Rhino. The rhino rolled straight over backwards then went on its side. There is not one square inch of this thing that did not come into contact with the ground. The only thing that finally stopped the rolling was the fact that the rhino rolled into an oak tree. When that happend a passenger in the rear seat was ejected. The reason for this is becuase she did not have her fifth point attached. She sustained a broken femur. This cage was out fitted with leg protectors and harnesses only. No doors, no window nets any the only other injuries was periods of dizzyness for a couple of days.

The rhino was concidered totaled by the insurance company. The cage was slightly bent with no broken welds. Concidering four adults rolled that many times its absolutly an example of how safe Utvs can be. I tried to keep the cage and even the rhino however the lender insisted on auctioning the thing off. So it is out there somewhere.

If anyone can tell me how to post the pics i will. It was a heck of a way to test this cage but it indeed possibly save four peoples lives. Please don't climb steep hills with four passengers!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, we are looking at the check point times from San Felipe. If we feel the Rhino can be competitive and not be in a unsafe situation,
we will consider a class for Rhinos. Thank you for your interest and keep checking our website for info.

Sal

Here is what Sal answer was. I agree if class 11 stock bug is still a class we can have a utv class. Class 11 in most events only has 1-3 cars entered I could see the utv's next year easily having more. I know I plan on building one if they let us race for the 250,500, & 1000 next year. I raced a bike at last year Baja 500 and it was great time and we learned alot for next time we make the haul from Seattle to Baja.
BRPtech

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty-
that story definately topped mine. if I knew the secret how to post pictures I would let you know. that is an amazing story, all that carnage without more serious injuries. ok any questions of Rhino safety refer to Dusty's pictures. I have not heard any other race rhino rolls so at least i was the first for something, i think.
Jagged Extreme Race Team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin,

I have Photos that Bill took of the Race on our website. Or if you want I can email them to you.

Dusty,

I wanna see some pics of that thing. if you can't post them here email them to me. eric@jaggedx.com

peace-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UTV Racing Association Forum Index -> SCORE All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: